9.17.2009

Oh joy. Spring is here!!!


I love spring it is such a wonderous time. It remindes me of fresh begins and hope of great things to come (see the koru blog). I'm busy planting seeds and seedlings. Well busy-ish, as we are still having the odd frost and my very wise husband has counselled me not to rush these things as he knows how heart broken I get when my plants die. Not to mention the fact that I am quite busy with my felting addiction, jewellery making and fitting in the odd bout of exercise in too. Oh and there is my teaching as well....where does the time go?

I just hope that my very smart (he's worked out how to get the lid off the compost bin so he can eat the scraps ) but also very naughty dog (see compost bin antics!) does not dig up my Christmas Lillies this year. I love smelly flowers (just one more great thing about spring) and having Christmas Lillies smelling the house out at Christmas just fills my little heart with Christmassy joy. So when the dog demolished them last year in his desire to escape by tunnelling under the fence I could have cried!

All of my fruit trees are bursting with buds and flowers and the peonies are well on their way too. Isn't it funny how gardening grows on you as you age. When I was young I hated being dirty and bugs freaked me out, so gardening was completely out of the question. Actually I still don't really like dirty hands and the soil plays havic with my skin so I wear gloves. As for the bugs, apart from cockroaches and wetas I'm really brave now!

I discovered gardening about 12 years ago when coming through a bout of depression. Someone suggested a garden. I lived in the city but turned the little balcony of my bedroom into a garden of sorts. What a wonderous idea! The tending of little seedlings eased me and gave me something tangible to look forward to. It really was just what the doctor ordered, and the Prozac of course. Now I don't need Prozac but I still need gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment