10.03.2009

Nature's influence











"You are not copying nature, but responding to nature in full awareness, to the way nature expresses itself in that object." Frederick Franck, The Zen of Seeing/Drawing. I found this quote in a book that I use for getting my students inspired to create things, so many young people seem to have lost the art of imagination and creativity. I think this is largely due to technology wasting away their creative juices, as in many cases they now seem content to 'watch' rather than to 'do'. At the risk of sounding like an old dinosaur (I am only 41!), when I was a child we didn't have much money but lots more time. Some of my best childhood memories are of my mother teaching me to sew or my grandmother teaching me knit. And these skills are some of things I use now to calm myself and they often bring me much joy. And what is my greatest muse, it's nature in all its awesome glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment