2.15.2020

Back to blogging

As I reacquaint myself with blogging, I am updating my profile below, from 11 years ago... (although much of it is still true).

I've been collecting treasures like a magpie since I was young, storing them in jars. I always had an interest for bits I found on trips; shells, sea glass + leaf skeletons. My jewelry + artworks has come about from a desire to use the things I've collected, as I feel it's vital to create something precious from those items as a tribute to the earth and its power + generosity. There's also a need in me to convert other people's trash into beautiful items so that recycling is occurring. This is seen in the pieces that use old copper toilet cisterns, electricity wire + smooth sea glass found on the New Zealand coast, glass which began as a bottle that someone threw into the sea. As long as I can remember I've had the need to create things. This is my therapy, as when my hands are busy my mind is calm, due to the focus that's required on the piece that's unfolding; A form of meditation that produces a treat at the end of it. Now I am working with flax, wire, beads, shells, sequins + pieces of 'junk' from my vast collection. I'm finding wire to be a great medium because it's so forgiving. If I'm not satisfied with a piece I can unwind it + begin again, this suits me just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment